Howdy!My research is generally in the areas of web-scale information management, distributed data-intensive systems, and social computing. Most recently, I've been working on (i) spam and crowdturfing threats to social media and web systems; and (ii) geo-social systems that leverage large-scale spatio-temporal footprints in social media.
Acknowledgments: Our lab has been generously supported by NSF, DARPA, AFOSR, Google, Amazon, the Texas A&M College of Engineering, and Texas A&M. Thank you!
Recent and Upcoming Activities
- Program committee co-chair of the recently concluded 2016 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM 2016).
- Back from sabbatical! Spent most of 2015 at Google as a "Visiting Scientist".
Teaching (full list)
- CSCE 489. Data Science and Analytics. Fall 2016
Recent Publications (full list) DBLP :: Google Scholar :: Semantic Scholar
- On Local Expert Discovery via Geo-Located Crowds, Queries, and Candidates. ACM Transactions on Spatial Algorithms and Systems (to appear).
- Discovering What You're Known For: A Contextual Poisson Factorization Approach. RecSys 2016.
- TAPER: A Contextual Tensor-Based Approach for Personalized Expert Recommendation. RecSys 2016. (best paper nominee)
- Uncovering the Spatio-Temporal Dynamics of Memes in the Presence of Incomplete Information. CIKM 2016.
- CrowdSelect: Increasing Accuracy of Crowdsourcing Tasks through Behavior Prediction and User Selection. CIKM 2016.
- Community-Based Geospatial Tag Estimation. ASONAM 2016.
- LExL: A Learning Approach for Local Expert Discovery on Twitter (short paper). ECIR 2016.
- College Towns, Vacation Spots, and Tech Hubs: Using Geo-Social Media to Model and Compare Locations. AAAI 2016.
- Exploiting Geo-Spatial Preference for Personalized Expert Recommendation. RecSys 2015.
- Organic or Organized? Exploring URL Sharing Behavior. CIKM 2015.
- BiasWatch: A Lightweight System for Discovering and Tracking Topic-Sensitive Opinion Bias in Social Media. CIKM 2015.
- Uncovering Crowdsourced Manipulation of Online Reviews. SIGIR 2015.
- Crowds, Gigs, and Super Sellers: A Measurement Study of a Supply-Driven Crowdsourcing Marketplace. ICWSM 2015.
- A Noise-Filtering Approach for Spatio-Temporal Event Detection in Social Media. ECIR 2015.
- Detecting Spam URLs in Social Media via Behavioral Analysis. ECIR 2015.
- Who is the Barbecue King of Texas?: A Geo-Spatial Approach to Finding Local Experts. SIGIR 2014.
Recent Professional Activities (full list)
- Program committee co-chair: ASONAM 2016, CollaborateCom 2011.
- Senior program committee: IJCAI 2016, CIKM 2016, CIKM 2015, ICWSM 2014.
- Program committee: HCOMP 2016, CIC 2016 ICDM 2016, ICWSM 2016, KDD 2016, SIGIR 2016, SocInfo 2016, WSDM 2016, WWW 2016, ICWSM 2015, IEEE CIC 2015 KDD 2015, PopInfo 2015 (co-located with KDD) SIGIR 2015, SocInfo 2015, SWDM 2015 (co-located with WWW) WSDM 2015, WWW 2015.
- Workshop organizer: TAIA 2015 (co-located with SIGIR), WebQuality 2014 (co-located with WWW), DUBMOD 2013 (co-located with CIKM), DUBMOD 2012 (co-located with CIKM).
- Referee: ACM TOIS, ACM TiiS, ACM TISSEC, ACM TSAS, ACM TWEB, IEEE TKDE, CACM.
- Editorial board: Human Computation, International Journal of Cooperative Information Systems, GeoJournal (Springer).
- NSF Panelist: Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Spring 2011, Spring 2012, Fall 2013, Fall 2015, Spring 2016.
- Google Research Award, 2014
- College of Engineering Caterpillar Teaching Excellence Award, 2013-2014
- Texas A&M Computer Science Undergraduate Faculty Teaching Award, 2013
- NSF CAREER Award, 2012 [Project Page]
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) Young Investigator Award, 2012
- Texas A&M Center for Teaching Excellence Montague-CTE Scholar, 2011-2012
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Young Faculty Award, 2010
- Texas A&M Computer Science Graduate Faculty Teaching Award, 2010
- Google Research Award, 2010
- Texas A&M Computer Science Graduate Faculty Teaching Award, 2009
- Google Research Award, 2008